Wednesday, November 21, 2007

round 11


Jimmies!

I know you were all thinking Thanksgiving = Cupcakes. But where to go for the best this festive season? Don't you just need one more review before you give thanks, for the review?

Well don't go here. Seriously. Here's what we thought. They weren't bad, just not that special. But if you're looking for a lot of cupcakes maybe you'll get "lucky" like our purchasing judge.

11. Billy's
184 9th Avenue

October 28, 2007
$2 each







comments on Cake
-odd texture
-crumby cake, so disgusting
-missing something taste-wise but can't pinpoint it
-needed 35% more
-the Sahara in my mouth

on Frosting
-again with the super sweet
-good but so sweet
-good amount
-chocolate in appearance but not in taste
-when's the earliest the dentist can see me?

on Presentation
-yes they're cute, like everywhere else
-of course, cute
-petite, cute
-ho hum

on Overall Enjoyment
-nothing noteworthy
-getting sick of this type of cupcake (Magnolia and its spin-offs)
-bad experience
-happy that I got a cupcake particularly after skipping a week...but not ecstatic
-he left Magnolia for this?

on The Scene
I went first thing in the morning and the staff was rude. When I walked in they immediately told me they weren't open and then changed their minds and said yes they were. They were not at all helpful and talked to each other instead of paying attention to what I needed. While paying, an employee came out from the back and tried to give me two small boxes of free cupcakes. I was confused but he walked over and physically shoved them into my hands and told me to just take them. He finally said they were part of a cancelled order from the day before. He told me to just give them away. He was cool and nice but also a little pushy about it since I didn't really need that many cupcakes. I do not want to go back there.

So here's the thing about Billy's. I think Shanel had such a bad experience purchasing these that she purposefully ate one of the old cupcakes in the attempt to sabotage her rating. I mean, she gave the cake a big ol' zero! And I tried one of those day-olds too, they were pretty bad. But that's why we also bought the new ones. But I think Shanel wanted Billy's to be bad. The other problem is that all the cupcakes are starting to be too similar and unremarkable. I don't think we were unnecessarily harsh in the numbers (they really weren't so great) but I do think we're really getting bored with all the spin-offs. Good thing next week's is/was an original place.

No comments: