Hmm, I had to save this post and now that I'm back in it I have no idea how I was going to finish that sentence.
But...since this is my blog, I'm going to insert my own comments now. I've been to this bakery a few times. I even waited in line 40 minutes once, just for a cupcake. It was probably 11PM, which is really the beauty of this place, it's open late and fulfills your late (perhaps slightly drunken) craving for sugar. I thought the line would move faster and after standing there for 20 minutes it seemed like I might as well just stay. I've never been able to eat more than one cupcake without getting totally sick and that doesn't seem right; what are they putting in those things? I'm also not sold on packaging my own cupcakes. Every customer picks over the cupcakes, touching and grabbing, trying to find the one they like the most. By the time you get in there, who knows how many hands have touched them. The last time I went there my first cupcake was totally stale too. And after 40 minutes of waiting, that's pretty disappointing.
So have you guessed where I'm talking about yet?
3. Magnolia
(Magnolia doesn't seem to have a website. I went through the 5 pages of a Google search and didn't find anything. What's up with that? edit as of 10/20: Magnolia has a website coming soon. Finally, yeesh.)
401 Bleeker Street
August 29, 2007
$2.00 each


Comments on Cake
-dry but with a nice consistency, a little more dense and it would be perfect
-soft, moist and fluffy
-not overcooked, just not moist enough
-slightly disappointing
-not the best cake of the bunch
on Frosting
-chocolate frosting had a nice distinct chocolate taste
-creamy and soft
-soo good
-too thick
-simply the best
-sweet, light and buttery with the perfect crunch of sugar crystals
-will fuck anything for this frosting (and he's a bottom, so that's quite the statement)
on Presentation
-nice little swirl with an adorable flower
-very cute, like a princess' cupcake
-simple
-the jimmies were tacky
-beautiful in the store
on Overall Enjoyment
-a nice treat without being overwhelming
-perfect size
-fulfilled the craving for a cupcake
-love them
-don't travel with them, eat them in the park across the street with the homeless people
on The Scene
The front of the bakery is small but cute. There is usually a line but not when we went during lunch. But even when it’s quiet attention to the customers seems to be a second thought. The employees were yelling at each other (in a friendly way, sort of, but still incredibly loud) and were annoyed when trying to bring out trays of cupcakes, you know, because actual customers were in the way. These cupcakes do not travel well, they start to get squished by just being near a box.
2 comments:
I think that bakery employees ignoring their customers is a city-wide pandemic. When this is all said and done, we should give an award (in the form of a really nice e-mail or letter) to the bakery with the nicest employees. It will be like elementary school all over again, getting awards for citizenship and perfect attendance.
I'd been thinking the same thing. I think we should also send one to the store that tops the rest in their overall score.
Post a Comment