
I was cat sitting at the end of last year in Park Slope for a certain friend and we decided to take the opportunity to get some cupcakes out in Brooklyn. It's kind of hard justify a train ride out there just to buy cupcakes that may or may not be any good. Fortunately this place was just a few blocks away from where I was staying so I just skipped on over there before work and then walked to the train, and of course still arrived to my job late. Whatever.
13. Sweet Melissa's
175 Seventh Avenue
December 30, 2007
$2.50 each


Comments on Cake
-dense and moist
-nostalgic quality, like my 10 year old self baked a Duncan Hines mix
-very compact and a little dry
-didn't overdose on sugar but still slightly bitter
-not too sweet
-not remarkable but nicely edible
on Frosting
-didn't hate it but didn't love it
-understated taste
-too light and whipped, prefer thick frosting
-also not too sweet
-too subtle flavoring
-surprisingly subtle with a nice consistency and flavor
on Presentation
-plain and simply but the whipped frosting makes them look a bit stale
-looked enjoyable
-neat and tidy
-loved the icing, reminiscent of marshmallow
-not charmed
on Overall Enjoyment
-a nice snack, didn't leave me wanting more (so maybe that's good) but no regrets either
-not satisfied
-didn't look like enough frosting but turned out to actually be too much
-nice cupcake to come back to after a long break
-pleasant eat
on The Scene
This is a cute, small store with lots of wood making things look cozy. There was a happy family talking to one another and sitting in the front restaurant portion when I came in so they added a cheery atmosphere. I'd really like to have brunch at this place. It felt very relaxed and calm. The cupcake selection was pretty slim: vanilla cake with raspberry frosting or chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. That's it. But there was a variety of other baked goods that looked pretty appetizing.

2 comments:
I have a new place for you to try. Make you most hipster-like participant go and get cupcakes here:
http://www.cheeksbakery.com/
I know you're not talking about me. I'm a yuppy, not a hipster.
Post a Comment