Monday, February 9, 2009

round 17

We really like the idea of the Treats Truck. Really. What's not to like about a mobile store that sells desserts? Nothing. Exactly. Unfortunately, we didn't like the desserts. Maybe it was an off day. Maybe it was too hot (it was pretty hot) and their air conditioning wasn't working very well. And it was expensive! Was that to pay for gas? We don't know, but we're sad we didn't like it. Let's just kiss and make up.



17. Treats Truck
various locations, see website
August 20, 2008
$3.25








Cake
fluffy and dry
too airy
dry, drier, driest
wrapped in a dry communion wafer

Frosting
from a Duncan Heines plastic tub
too sweet
my mom who can’t bake could buy better frosting
delightfully chocolaty

Presentation
“oh, it’s in an ice cream cone”
cute concept, easy to eat but sloppy
clever and clean cone
cute but confusing, where did this idea come from?

Overall Enjoyment
headache inducing
not enjoyable
how can a pretty cupcake cause so much disappointment?
would have preferred either an ice cream cone or a cupcake

The Scene
It was a lovely day outside. Tara and I walked through Times Square, chatting amiably and musing about life and stepping out of the way of drunken whores. The Treats Truck drives around the city and parks at certain locations on certain days, so it’s somewhat elusive. This day it was at 45th and 6th Avenue, which is not the most scenic part of town. But, we got in line and waited. We were in the shade, so it was cool. Someone was playing their boombox nearby. People were shouting and rushing by. So, the ambiance maintained by the Treats Truck was not the most soothing. The line moved fairly quickly and a Treats Truck employee came out and took our orders ahead of time. Very friendly and helpful. That's all.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

You know what strikes me the most about these updates? That's right, the fact that we look so much alike in that photo. Me and you, I mean, not me and Treats Truck cupcakes. (I cannot approve of the names of either of the recently reviewed places, by the by.)

Here in Seattle, Trophy is opening up a second location which makes me both excited and sad. I'm such a sucker for places that are one-of-a-kind, even if they are making things that lots of other places also offer. Like, I believe that it is more honorable to stick to one locale. How can I buy local if there's more than one place to do it?

In conclusion, I am hungry.

tarak said...

Look at that cupcake in my hand! I blew all of the faux icing all down my crappy cone. I'm so embarrasing.