Sunday, September 9, 2007

round 1--this means war

Well, we started, and the first results are in. (Actually several results are in but I'm only just now getting around to compiling them in any sort of order. So I'm only posting one bakery at a time).

Here we go:

1. Crumbs
43 West 42nd Street

August 17, 2007
$2.00 each





Click on my graphs, they are big and beautiful.

Comments on Cake
-Betty Crocker mix
-too fluffy
-good texture, not crumbly
-too moist
-too heavy
-not sweet enough
-delicious, light and fluffy! the best part

on Frosting
-not light enough
-sweet without hurting the teeth
-good and thick
-not overwhelming enough

on Presentation
We all agreed: Crumbs cupcakes come in a nice bag. Isn't that exciting?

on Overall Enjoyment
We again agreed: good size, not too big, not too small.


on The Scene
At 9AM there was already a long line out the door. Only two people were working and they didn’t offer much personal attention. Cupcake questions were not welcomed. The store is small and cramped and it seems likely that the cupcakes are delivered to that location, rather than made on site. This was not a pleasant buying experience.

As you can see, we're taking this very seriously. (I may or may not have forced the seriousness onto everyone else.) We had some differing opinions and you'll start to see some biases in upcoming battles. Stay tuned.

What started out as a simple debate is transforming into an all out hunt. Other bakeries so far include Cupcake Cafe, Magnolia, Risotteria, Whole Foods and Buttercup. If you have any suggestions feel free to throw 'em out; I want to keep this going as long as possible. It means a cupcake a week for me. And since I'm doing that whole fruits and vegetables diet for the rest of the days, I fucking need that fucking sugar.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel very strongly that you should add a bar to each graph indicating the average score for each category.
One more suggestion (since my other one has already been vetoed)

Sugar Sweet Sunshine at 126 Rivington Street

Who wouldn't want to eat something that came from a place with a name like that?

Anonymous said...

As pleased as I am with the posting of our scientific findings, I dare think of the havoc my body is going through due to my cupcake withdrawls this week. UGGGG!!!! (as frosting is foaming out of my mouth).

Also...

Billy's Bakery
Little Pie
Babycakes
I'll come up w/ others later

Anonymous said...

I don't know how serious it is that all your colors are shades of pinks, but I love those graphs (naturally).

I am tickled (shades of pink) over the notes in color and how they are so efficient.

Perhaps the biggest drawback is that I am not playing this game...

ipj said...

War is not a game, Ida.

Anonymous said...

Um...then what about War Games????

ipj said...

That is a movie.

Anonymous said...

Isn't everything in New York a movie?

Anonymous said...

I think you should post an address and website (if available) with each bakery report.

I swear to god, we could get free cupcakes out of this somehow. We're practically members of the cupcake press.

Anonymous said...

What kind did you have? Are you using the basic all-white combo as your baseline?
I am mesmerized. There simply is no cupcake fascination in New Jersey; last time I worked in the city I was startled by the office meetings that were so often populated by cupcakes. Now I am working here again, and then to come across such a helpful study... it's all too much.

Anonymous said...

A new cupcake place just opened in South Kensington (in London, from whence I write) - I think you should make this whole thing trans-Atlantic.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about British cupcakes? I have always thought that, when it comes to sweet treats, the palates between the English and the Americans were so different palates Hmm, if only there was someone in England who would be willing to ship us over some cupcakes so they could prove me wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

As a displaced New Yorker, I was thrilled to see one of my beloved Crumbs open up in Beverly Hills shortly after my arrival to LA. While they don't have any black and white cookies (which is that store's strongest suit), I swear they import NYC tap water to make their cupcakes taste just like NY. And since they're down the street from Sprinkles (THE cupcake place to go in LA), there are usually no lines.

I actually find it funny you guys ran into lines. I used to live above the one on 75th and never had an issue getting in and getting out quickly. (That's what she said?)