Monday, September 24, 2007

round 4

It's a good thing I still have these cupcake posts, otherwise my blog would just blather on about my roller coaster emotions concerning work, love and life in general. And that's pretty boring because who doesn't have those problems?

But I will say that I did turn down that apprenticeship opportunity. I sent a very thankful email to the studio owner basically saying that if I took on the job I would go crazy, only I said it a little better. I tried extra hard to be extra nice and sent it a few days ago but haven't received any sort of response. Fine.

We had a special guest judge for this bakery. Shanel was out that day so Kansas stepped in for her. And this bakery is particularly dear to Kansas as she has a gluten allergy. Here it is:

4. Risotteria
270 Bleecker Street


August 31, 2007
$4.00 each






Comments on Cake
-dry
-chocolaty and moist
-a little too sugary
-too dry, not enough gluten

on Frosting
-bland
-a little runny but taste was good
-tasted like non-baked meringue
-light
-good frosting shot in the middle
-light, sweet and creamy

on Presentation
-like a 6 year old's birthday party; mom made them, she had to make a lot and didn't have enough time for any frills
-grade school birthday party in a good way
-remembrances of grandmother's goodies (made from the box)
-charming and endearing homemade quality

on Overall Enjoyment
-didn't quite satisfy the need for a cupcake
-good for folks with a wheat allergy
-didn't give you that heavy after-cupcake feeling of imminent explosion
-it was fine

on The Scene
This place has a cute décor with retro elements. The store is very small but doesn’t feel stuffy. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful in regards to their “special” (gluten-free) menu and very nice. They put in two free cupcakes with our order since we were buying so many other items as well.

In my next blog post I'll have a new graph displaying the competition so far. The basic layout is the same but I got to play with different numbers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I love all of your cupcake graphs! I also appreciate the various commentary and scientific rigor of your judging methods. Keep up the good work!