Saturday, November 17, 2007

round 10


A new feature! I'll start posting a picture of one of the cupcakes we actually ate from the featured bakery. If I remember to take the picture! (I already forgot once. Maybe that just means I'll have to go back and buy a single for myself.)

We went here a while ago. I've been lax in the cupcake posts of late. The judges are taking a short break and as such, I kept forgetting to post our past entries. We're taking a break partly because everyone's cupcakes are starting to taste the same and partly because none of us seem to work in the office on the same day anymore and I can't stand to let anyone have a day-old cupcake. And also, if I let enough time go by maybe the other judges will have forgotten their original comments and won't notice that I've altered them.

I'd been this place before (or at least, to one of its stores) and I don't remember thinking much of it then. I heard they were supposed to be wonderful cupcakes so my expectations were high and I don't think they were met. Here's what we all thought this time around.

10. Buttercup
141 West 72nd Street

October 14, 2007
$1.85 each





comments on Cake
-dry dry dry
-nice, moist and delicious
-who forgot the sugar?
-too dry and crumbly

on Frosting
-ow, my teefth!
-too sweet
-oh, it's all in the frosting
-needed to make a dentist appointment after finishing

on Presentation
-cute but look stale
-like a little girl's imaginary tea party dessert
-appearances are deceiving (seems like a theme doesn't it?)
-didn't even mind the jimmies this time
-lovely

on Overall Enjoyment
-did not satisfy my sweet tooth at all, just knocked it out
-kind of want to eat some carrots to cleanse my mouth
-not feelin' the love for cupcakes
-satisfied the craving for a cupcake and a cavity

on The Scene
It's an easily accessible location. When you walk in you see a long, long display case invitingly filled with cupcakes. On top of the case are covered cake plates with more treats like brownies, pies and lemon bars. Prettily decorated as for a child's birthday party, yellow colors abound. The staff was nice, friendly and efficient. So nice that their service actually warranted the tip I left.


tarak and I split our cupcakes this time so we could each try a few different kinds. She bought a special one that we didn't rate but were interested in trying. It was a peanut butter and jelly cupcake. Can you guess which one it is?

Yeah, that brownish one. Let me tell you, that cupcake was no good. Blech. I thought it tasted like a dry, squashed Wonder bread sandwich made with dry peanut butter and nondescript jelly. But it was hard to decide if it wasn't very good because of what it was or because of how it was made. I've never had a PB&J cupcake before so who knows, maybe it would taste bad no matter who made it, though my gut (which is angry now) tells me that this one was particularly icky.

Did you notice that the graphs for Buttercup and Magnolia are the same color? Da dum dum! Rivals!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been so long since our last judging that I've forgotten what a cupcake taste like. I think that I will go into diabetic shock when we finally have our next treat.

tarak said...

I love the top picture. It looks like the staplers in the back are about to attack the cupcake.

Isaac said...

I noticed that you've altered my comments.

ipj said...

No you didn't, you just want to say you did so you can punish me.