Saturday, October 6, 2007

round 6

You know what, good for them. I'm glad they're making an alternative for people with certain allergies. They're gluten free and sweetened with agave and made with whatever other stuff. But I had a similar reaction to these as I do when I'm craving ice cream and someone suggests that I buy sorbet. That's not what I want. I want ice cream! I want all that sugar and high fat content to fill me up and make it impossible to think of anything except for how much my stomach hurts and what a stupid idea it was to eat the entire pint (which I may or may not be doing tonight).

This week we once again had our guest judge, Kansas, participate.

So...

6. babycakes NYC
248 Broome Street


September 14, 2007

$3.50 each





comments on Cake
-healthy tasting without sacrificing flavor
-corn muffin on a higher level
-intensely chocolaty and moist but not completely sold on the taste
-tastes like a Nutrigrain bar
-dangerously lacking in gluten and sugar
-moist and firm

on Frosting
-bland with an uncomfortable flavor (see Shanel's comment)
-liquidy, no substance; like Suave lotion
-bad combination of lime and vanilla
-not enough
-consistency of room temperature caramel
-a spoonful of agave helps the medicine go down, in the most "delightful" way
-not too sweet

on Presentation
We all agreed they are definitely cute.
-appearances are deceiving
-looked like it would be tasty
-fun, retro colors
-lovely, adorable, simple and sweet
-nice but not that unique

on Overall Enjoyment
-I broke my diet for this?
-good cake but bad frosting
-going to Crumbs after this
-too small especially for the price
-agave can't compete with straight up processed sugar
-satisfied the craving for a health bar but not a cupcake
-would probably stand up to other cupcakes if I could eat them to tell the difference

on The Scene
In this cute small shop the cupcakes are on display in a glass cabinet in the front and you're able to see some of the actual baking happening. Not much renovation has been done which gave the shop a nice New York character typical of the Lower East Side. The staff was fine but not exceptional in their service, all young and bohemian looking. Unfortunately, when we began eating we noticed that they gave us different flavors of cupcakes than what we had requested.

No comments: